1st International Workshop: R & D activities on Sugarcane Plant improvement 9th August
- Inauguration: Dr. Jack C. Comstock
- Welcome address: Dr. Abid Mahmood. DG (Research) AARI, Faisalabad
- Introductory note: Dr. Shahid Afghan. Acting CEO, SRDB (Punjab)
- Induction of Desired Characteristics in Sugarcane Plant through Breeding Techniques: Dr. Naeem Ahmad. Director, SRI, Faisalabad
- R and D Activities at Fatima Sugar Research and Development Center (FSRDC): Dr. Syed Zia ul Hussnain
- R and D Activities at SSRI for Sugarcane improvement: Mr. Aamir Shahzad
- Sugarcane Breeding at Murree: Mr. Farooq Ahmad, ARO, SRI, Faisalabad
- Sugarcane Variety Development Program at SCRI, Mardan: Dr. Muhammad Tahir
- Sugarcane Varietal situation in Sindh and role of NSTHRI for Development of new Varieties: Mr. Riaz Noor Panhwar
- R & D Activities on Sugarcane at NIA, Tandojam: Mr. Muhammad Tahir Khan
- Seedling; A Vital Contribution in Varietal Development Program at SRI, Faisalabad: Dr. Ijaz Tabassum, SRI, Faisalabad
- Combined use of Distillery Spent wash and Chemical Fertilizers in Sugarcane: Mr. G. M. Kaloi
- September 23, 2016
The stabilization of production and productivity of sugarcane is important in view of the rising internal consumption of sugar and its need for ensuring adequate exports. The prospect of sugarcane as a future renewable energy crop for ethanol production,
Our vision is to sustain strengths and find weaknesses in supply chain of sugarcane from growers to industry and sugar to end consumers. Sugarcane occupying an important position in agrarian economy of Pakistan, is amongst the most efficient flora of agriculture world. Pakistan sugar industry can no longer afford the luxury of doing little research and development work relatively in relation to its size.
Our Vision 2020
Increase in cane and sugar yields per unit area. Improve efficiency of inputs (water, fertilizers, agrochemicals, diesel, labour/manpower). Sustainable production system (including environment friendly approach, soil fertility & health, socio-economic aspects) Explore potential of bi-products & energy production from sugarcane biomass Prepare for mechanization in future and application of new technologies Effective Technology Transfer and Capacity for young researchers/technicians/farmers.
- To Assess, monitor and review research programs and research strategies for empowering sugar industry.
- To Facilitate the Technical and Scientific investigation, and evaluation for the promotion of sugarcane industry
- To provide training, advice and information concerning any matter relating to the production, harvesting, production and processing of sugar cane.
- To identify diversification opportunities for the sugar cane industry.